Well, it seems my Holy Family video was enjoyed by at least
one Blog reader. And – she's not even a member of our class!
Below are some email excerpts from CHS ’58
grad Bernie Kallay Olear.
Dear Paul,
Do I hear any other recollections from the Class of 1957? I'm listening.Thank you for prompting me to speak up in response to your video. It was really good and, do you know what?....I did recognize a lot of the scenes..I tried so hard to recognize any of the Halloween parade participants, but their masks were kind of spooky. I did recognize Sr. Zenia (our HFS principal) and Sr. Honorata who was in the clip by her side. (Pause video at the 28 sec. mark) No one messed with these nuns, ever.The old church, which was being demolished, was my stomping ground since I lived at the end of Emerson St. Our Holy Family 8th Grade Class of 1954 was the first class to graduate from the new church as seen in your video I was the gofer for all of the nuns. I was there all of the time. The nuns had me going to Ullman's Bakery and Mrs. Kovac's store.Mrs. Kovac's store was located on the corner of Emerson St and Blanchard St(?) It was one block up and across the street from where I lived. She had groceries, some meats, produce, etc. Ice cream and penny candy. You would buy everything on the 'book' and pay her on pay day. She would then give you a bag full of penny candy. When LeBow's came in, that was the end of her market. I lived at # 172, which was the last house on the block, (dead end) which made it perfect for stick ball, roller skating and hopscotch.. No traffic unless you were lost.This video is a real treasure and I thank you for sharing.Bernie (K) O